Building Construction Permit Information

>>>View Building Codes Online

How Do I Apply for a Building Permit?

Please visit our Citizenserve Citizen Access Portal.

Please note: 
  • For blasting permits, please see the subpage at left for a PDF application instead of visiting the Citizenserve portal.
  • A demolition permit is required to remove or demolish a structure or part of a structure (see subpage at left).
  • Fireworks Display Permits fall under Building Construction Permits.

When is a Building Construction Permit Required?

A building permit is required to:
  • Build, add-on, alter, or repair a structure
  • Change the use of a building or structure
  • Install new plumbing, electrical, or mechanical equipment
  • Relocate plumbing, electrical, or mechanical equipment
  • Demolish a structure or part of a structure
Please review the subpages at left and information below about the various types of permits and the inspection process.

Project Examples

Generally, projects that do require permits include:

  • Any work done within the 100-year floodplain
  • All new construction of residential and commercial structures
  • New garages, carports, room additions, decks, pole buildings, sheds greater than or equal to 120 sq ft in size
  • Finishing a basement
  • Any electrical re-wiring or plumbing changes made in a home or addition
  • Changes in building use, such as changing a residence to a business office
  • Changes in electrical service or service up-grade
  • Fences over 24 inches in height
  • Installation of in-ground or above-ground swimming pools or hot tubs
  • Installation of lawn sprinklers
  • Moving a mobile home into a mobile home park or onto private property
  • Replacing an air conditioning and/or heating unit
  • Replacing a water heater
  • Installing a retaining wall over 48 inches high
  • Installing an all new septic system
  • Major repairs or alterations to existing septic systems 
  • Replacement or repair of sewer laterals or water service
Generally, projects that do not require permits include:

  • New floor coverings
  • Painting, wallpapering, and plastering
  • Pumping a septic tank
  • Repairing drywall
  • Replacing existing windows (providing the opening size is not changed)
  • Replacing a light fixture or faucet
  • Replacing a roof
  • Replacing the siding of a home
  • Utility sheds less than 120 square feet without electric. There are requirements for the placement of the shed, contact the Planning and Zoning Division at 636-949-7335 for the setbacks


There are many more types of projects other than those listed above, some of which may or may not require building permits. If you have any questions, please contact the St. Charles County Building and Code Enforcement Division at 636-949-7345 or