How Do I Apply?Building Permit Fees (PDF)
Please visit the Building Construction Permit section of our Citizenserve Citizen Access Portal.
Types of Demolition Permits and Fees
Including $100 environmental fee:
- Residence $175
- Accessory Structure $160
- Septic $150
- Commercial $175
Special waste fee of $100 will be applied for special waste, including but not limited to asbestos or evidence verifying composition of special waste.
What Will I Need to Submit?
For structures with utilities, applicant must notify all utilities of proposed demolition, including the electric company, gas company, telephone company, sewer company, water company, and any other connections that would be affected by the demolition. A disconnect letter from all utility companies MUST be included with the permit application.
Plan Review and Final Fee
The plan review process typically takes about 10 working days. When the permit is ready, you will be notified via email that the permit is ready for pick up as well as the final amount of the permit fee.
At least one inspection will be required. When the permit is issued, the necessary inspections required will be listed on your permit card. At the inspector's discretion, some inspections may not be applicable to the particular permit in question. The inspector will note those inspections are "N/A" at a later date.
Inspections must be called into the office by 3 p.m. the business day prior to your requested inspection date. To schedule your inspection, call 636-949-7345. If it is necessary to cancel or change your inspection, please do so as soon as possible. Also, please remember to post your permit so that it is visible from the street.
Things to Know
After the permit has been issued, the following procedures are to be followed:
- The Environmental Services Department reserves the right to inspect demolition sites.
- All demolition waste is to be transported to a licensed waste processing facility.
- Proof of proper disposal in the form of a disposal receipt is to be provided to the Division of Environmental Health and Protection at 1650 Boone's Lick Road, St. Charles, MO 63301, 636-949-1800.
- All asbestos should be removed and delivered to a hazardous waste area. If asbestos is found, a letter from Department of Natural Resources (DNR) 314-416-2960 and testing lab should be furnished to the Building Division and Environmental Services.
- Foundation (concrete, brick, block, etc.) is to be broken into small pieces, no larger than one cubic foot, and transported to a landfill or by approval of the Building Division placed in foundation excavation, compacted and covered within 24" clean fill dirt.
- All grounds must be graded and seeded.
- Building Division must be contacted for a final inspection.
- Septic tank demolition procedures:
- Tank is to be pumped out.
- Holes shall be punched in bottom of septic tank.
- The top and sides of the tank are to be broken down and either removed or placed in the tank. First inspection to be made at this time, see above for inspection procedures.
- After the first inspection is completed and approved, the tank is to be filled with sand or 1" rock. This fill must be on site at the time of the first inspection.
- Demolition area is to be covered with top soil approximately 24" in depth. This may vary according to conditions (see building inspector at time of first inspection).
- Area to be graded, seeded, and strawed for the final inspection. After this final grade, contact the Building Division for the final inspection.
- Completion of Work; Demolition work must start within thirty (30) days after the date of issuance of the demolition permit and must be completed within ninety (90) days. The Building Official may, after receiving a written request from the applicant, extend this permit one (1) or more additional thirty (30) day period(s) if it is their opinion that conditions (such as weather) may have prevented the completion of the work within the prescribed allotted time.
For more information on waste disposal, contact the Division of Environmental Health and Protection at 636-949-1800 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For other questions, please contact the St. Charles County Building and Code Enforcement Division at 636-949-7345 or email@example.com.