In the early 1940s, the U.S. Navy purchased the grounds for what is now called Smartt Field from Ruth Neubeiser. The Navy constructed an octagonal, 8-runway airfield complete with an outer circular taxiway, hangars and barracks utilized the field as an auxiliary training field during the early years of World War II.
The facility, originally named Neubeiser Field, was renamed as Field #34512 by the Navy and then later renamed again as Smartt Field, in honor of Ensign Joseph Smartt from Robertson, Missouri, who was killed in the Japanese attack on Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii on December 7, 1941.
Federal Government Deeds Ground to Local Governments
In 1957, the federal government deeded the airport grounds, then consisting of 184 acres, to the City of St. Charles and St. Charles County. The city subsequently released their portion of the airport in 1976 to the county.
In 1984, the Confederate Air Force, now the Commemorative Air Force (CAF), moved to Smartt Field where it still resides as the Missouri Wing of the CAF complete with a flying B-25 and TBM Avenger as well as an aviation museum.
Smartt Field is classified as a reliever airport by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and currently consists of approximately 312 acres with 4 runways: Runway 9-27 and Runway 18-36, both with full parallel taxiways.
Businesses & Organizations
The Airport is home to three Fixed Base Operators (FBOs):
SCFS and Skylink provide aircraft maintenance and flight instruction and all 3 FBOs offer AvGas with the CAF operating a 24/7 self-service credit card fueling facility. SCFS also provides charter and small air cargo services.