Recycle Works - Central
Recycle Works Central accepts the following recyclable material*:
- Aluminum - All types of aluminum are accepted.
- Antifreeze - Items are accepted from St. Charles County residents only. Items must be secured in non-returnable plastic containers with no larger than 3 gallon capacity. The limit is 10 gallons per visit.
- Appliances - Washers, dryers, water heaters, trash compactors, dishwashers, microwave ovens, ranges, stoves, air conditioners, refrigerators, furnaces, and freezers are accepted. The facility does not accept gas powered / ammonia-type refrigerators. Please deliver refrigerators, air conditioners, and freezers intact - Freon is removed by certified technicians and collected on-site. St. Charles County Ordinance 07-079 requires a $15 per appliance collection fee and a $15 surcharge for devices with more than 1 compressor. Please ask the on-site attendant for a receipt.
- Batteries - Rechargeable batteries and intact used automotive batteries are accepted. For cracked or leaking batteries, please call 636-949-1800 for chemical collection.
- Corrugated Cardboard and Mixed Paper / Fiber - Accepted items include corrugated cardboard and newspaper, magazines, junk mail, envelopes, colored paper, manila envelopes, white office paper, message slips, computer paper, cereal boxes, etc. Telephone books are accepted as well and may be mixed with other paper/fiber.
- Cartridges - copier toner cartridges, computer printer ink jet cartridges, and fax cartridges are accepted.
- Clothing and Textiles - Used socks, hats, shoes, belts, purses, backpacks, t-shirts, coats, jackets, clothing, draperies, towels, sheets, and bedspreads are accepted.
- Cooking Oil - Cooking oil must be secured in a non-returnable, lidded container. Only liquid cooking oil will be accepted. No grease or solid fats will be accepted.
- Microwave Ovens - St. Charles County Ordinance 07-079 requires a per unit collection fee of $5 per microwave oven.
- Motor Oil and Oil Filters - Items must be packaged in non-returnable, plastic containers no larger than 2 gallon capacity. There is a limit of 20 gallons accepted per visit. Oil and transmission fluid may be mixed. However, if there are cleaning fluids or solvents in the oil, please call 636-949-1800 for information.
- Plastic - all plastics except PVC and vinyl siding are accepted. Larger plastics, such as large plastic toys and play houses, are accepted if they are cut into smaller pieces. The facility does not accept individual plastic bags (i.e.: shopping bags).
- Polystyrene Foam - the facility accepts packing polystyrene foam. Recycle works does not accept plates, cups, egg cartons, meat trays and all other food containers.
St. Charles County Ordinance 07-079 requires a per unit collection fee for potentially hazardous materials. The following items are accepted:
- Entire computer system (CPU, monitor, keyboard and mouse, etc.) - $10
- CPU Only - $5
- Monitors (19” or Smaller) - $5
- Monitors (20”or Greater) - $10
- Flat Screen Monitors - $5
- Keyboards - No Charge
- Mouse - No Charge
- Fax machine - No Charge
- Printers (0-25 Pounds) - No Charge
- Printers (26 Pounds or More) - $10
- Scanners - No Charge
- Copiers (Desktop) - $10
- Copiers (Floor Models) - $0.50 Per Pound
- Laptops - No Charge
- Typewriters - No Charge
St. Charles County Ordinance 07-079 requires a per unit collection fee for potentially hazardous materials. Both Recycle Works Centers accept any type of electronic and/or circuit board. The following items are accepted:
- Cellular Phones / Equipment - No Charge
- Televisions (19” or Smaller) - $10
- Televisions (20-29”) - $15
- Televisions (30” and Larger) - $25
- DVD Players - No Charge
- VCRs and VHS Tapes - No Charge
- Stereos and Cassettes - No Charge
- Clock Radios - No Charge
- Video Game Systems - No Charge
We take up to 5 fluorescent tubes per day and compact fluorescent bulbs are accepted from St. Charles County residents only at no charge. Commercial businesses and organizations may recycle these materials for a small fee (depends upon item):
- Fluorescent Tubes (Straight) - $0.25 per foot
- U-Tube, Circular, Compact Fluorescent - $0.50 Each
- HID, Mercury, Halide, Sodium - $1.50 each
- Shatter-shield, Power Groove - $1.50 each
- Incandescent, Quartz, Halogen - $0.50 each
- Ultraviolet, Arc Lamps - $3 each
Fluorescent bulbs presented for recycling may be refused at the discretion of the facility. Do not tape lightbulbs. Total charges for commercial establishments dropping off bulbs will be rounded up to the next whole dollar. If you accidentally break a CFL or regular fluorescent bulb, please follow these clean-up and disposal steps (PDF) from the Missouri Department of Natural Resources.
Hazardous Household Waste
We are accepting hazardous waste materials May 1 through September 30 only (9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Tuesday through Friday - and the last Saturday of the month). The following items are accepted from St. Charles County residents only: aerosols, antifreeze, batteries, brake fluid, poison, gas / fuel, herbicides, oil / filters, paint / stain (except latex-based paints), pesticides, transmission fluid, pool chemicals, sealants, solvents, thermometers, and thermostats. Cost is $15 for total items weighing up to 50 pounds. Any deliveries over 50 pounds is charged a supplemental fee of $1 per pound. For more information on safely disposing of Household Hazardous Waste, please visit the Missouri Department of Natural Resources website.
To ensure safety, please follow the following precautions when bringing hazardous materials to Recycle Works Central:
- Make certain that the waste is properly packed, and do not mix with other materials.
- Wherever possible, leave the materials in their original containers. Items that are not in their original packaging should be clearly labeled with their contents. Mixed waste in plastic bags will not be accepted.
- Be sure the lid is securely attached.
- Place the material inside a box that is lined with newspaper (filling gaps with additional crumpled newspaper will help prevent spills during transport).
- Place the filled box in the trunk of your vehicle while transporting.
- Upon arrival at the facility, please remain in your vehicle until assisted.
Items are accepted from individuals only (no commercial organizations). Material must be placed in a non-returnable, plastic container with no larger than 2 gallon capacity. A limit of 10 gallons per visit is allowed. If the solution is mixed with cleaning fluids or solvents, please call 636-949-1800 for hazardous waste collections (appointment is required).
These items are not accepted:
- Asbestos Material
- Business / Government Waste
- Explosives / Ammunition
- Latex-Based Paints
- Medical Waste
- Pressurized Gas Tanks
- Radioactive Waste
All material becomes the property of the county. We reserve the right to not accept, change fees, or stop accepting any items listed at any time and without advance notice.