Plumbers License Application/Renewal
How to Apply or Renew Your License
To apply or renew your license, there are a couple options to choose from:
- Option 1 - Apply or renew online through the Citizenserve Citizen Access Portal. The portal will allow you to quickly enter all necessary information, as well as upload your required documents.
- Option 2 - Fill out and print this license application (PDF) and other required documents and either mail it or physically bring it to our office at 201 N. Second St., Suite 410, St. Charles, MO 63301.
- Option 3 - Email Building Permits Division the license application and required documents.
Paying for Your New or Renewed License
Credit card payments may be made online, in the office, or over the phone. Cash or check is accepted in person. If paying by credit card, a surcharge of 3.34% will be applied. Credit card information taken over the phone will be shredded promptly after processing. If paying by check, please make check payable to St. Charles County Building.
Please note, your license is not active until payment is received and all required documents have been verified.
Current Submittal Requirements
- License application (PDF) (Only if submitting in person, via email or postal mail. Citizenserve Citizen Access Portal users are not required to fill out a paper application.
- International Code Council (ICC) test results.
- ICC testing is done through Pearson VUE. Visit the Pearson VUE website for ICC testing or call them at 888-422-7233.
- St. Charles County does not require pre-authorization.
- The test that St. Charles County accepts for Plumbers is the "F24-National Standard Master Plumber".
- One digital front facial view photograph (jpeg preferred). A passport sized photo is also acceptable.
- Current bond in the amount of $10,000 with licensee name as Principal (not the company name.) An original is required, it must be signed, and the power of attorney page must also be included.
- Current Certificate of Liability insurance in the minimum amount of $500,000 per occurrence. The certificate must show St. Charles County as certificate holder.
- Plumbing licenses are valid for 2 years, until December 31, in years ending in odd numbers. As such, if you are first applying for this license at any time in an even numbered year, the full fee of $200 for an active license will apply. Conversely, if you apply at any time in an odd numbered year, the fee for an active license is $100.
- $25 one-time processing fee due for first time applicants.
Once the application has been received, all required documents verified, and all required fees posted, the license will be activated and the licensee will be sent a receipt and a license certificate via email.
Another license option is to go "Inactive" for a fee of $50. This option is only available to previously licensed individuals. An "inactive" license status works for those who do not expect to work in the area but it is a possibility. It keeps the license "current" while not requiring bonds or liability insurance. If the licensee should get a job in the County, all that is required is the current license fee ($200 or $100, depending on what year in the cycle it is), along with current bond and liability.
Towards the end of a license cycle, around November 15, renewal reminder notices will be emailed. This is a courtesy, as it is the licensee’s responsibility to keep their license up-to-date and in good standing. As such, license applications and payments MUST be postmarked on or before December 31 or a late fee of $25 will be applied. For each month thereafter, up to 4 months total, a late fee of $25 a month will be charged. For example, this means that if you do not renew your license until the July after it was due, the fee for that license would be $200 plus $100 in late fees.
Additionally, if a license remains expired for two (2) or more code cycles (codes cycles last three years), licensee will be required to re-test with the International Code Council.