Land Disturbance and Development Permits

How Do I Apply?

Please visit the Land Development & Zoning Applications section of our Citizenserve Citizen Access Portal.

When is a Land Disturbance and Development Permit Required?

  • Land Disturbance Permits are required to perform land disturbance activities affecting 5,000 sq.ft. or more unless the activity meets the exemption criteria in Section 412.050 of the County Codes.
  • Flood Plain Development Permits are required for practically all construction, improvements, demolition, or earthmoving within any area defined by the 2016 Flood Insurance Rate Maps and Studies as floodway fringe, density floodway, or floodway.
  • Natural Watercourse/Vegetated Buffer Permits are required for any disturbances proposed to streams, creeks, natural watercourses and their required vegetated buffers per Article VI of the County Codes.
  • Water Reservoir/Dam Permits are required to construct, remove, maintain, or improve a dam and water reservoir where the land disturbance will be 5,000 sq. ft. or greater. Water Reservoir/Dam Permits are issued as a subtype of a land disturbance permit but have additional submittal requirements for permitting.
Please review the pages at left for specific information about these types of permits.

Reference Information


If you have any questions about Flood Plain Development Permits, please contact the St. Charles County Planning & Zoning Division at 636-949-7335 or

If you have any questions about Land Disturbance, Natural Watercourse, or Water Reservoir/Dam permits, please contact the St. Charles County Development Review Division at 636-949-1814 or