Fireworks Stand Permit

How Do I Apply?

Please visit the Land Development & Zoning Applications section of our Citizenserve Citizen Access Portal.

When is a Fireworks Conditional Use Permit Required?

Under St. Charles County’s fireworks code, all fireworks stands in the unincorporated County must operate under a Conditional Use Permit approved by the Planning and Zoning Commission.

Special Application Information, Deadlines and Fees

Complete applications must include:

  • A plot plan, drawn to scale, showing all structures and trailers on the property, both permanent and temporary, parking areas, storage facilities, etc. The plot plan must indicate the dimensions of the property and the exact location of all structures, including distances from property lines and between structures. Indicate where the electrical power pole is located.
  • Indicate what type of temporary structure (wood frame or fabric tent). Fabric tents must be fire retardant treated or classified noncombustible.
  • A letter from the owner of the property on which the stand is located authorizing the operation of a fireworks stand on the property, dated and notarized not earlier than 60 days prior to the date of the application.

The Planning and Zoning Commission holds a public hearing for all fireworks stand conditional use permits once annually at the Commission’s March meeting. Consequently, fireworks stand applications must be submitted to the County by the February deadline to be heard at the March meeting. Unlike other conditional use permits, the Planning and Zoning Commission administratively approves fireworks stands. Fireworks stand applications which are denied by the Commission are automatically forwarded to the County Council for approval or denial.

The County charges no fees for the fireworks stand conditional use permit application. However, a specific fireworks stand land use permit fee must be paid when the building permit is issued, and cannot be paid by check other than by certified check.