Nonconforming Use Permit

When is a Nonconforming Use Permit Required?

A nonconforming use permit provides an official determination by St. Charles County that a specific use, whether of open land or operated within a building, was lawfully established but no longer conforms to the County’s current zoning regulations (Chapter 405 of the Unified Development Ordinance). The concept of nonconforming uses is sometimes referred to as “grandfathered”. The County’s nonconforming use regulations recognize the rights of property owners to continue a nonconforming use so long as it remains otherwise lawful and is not discontinued or destroyed. The County does not require nonconforming use permits, but property owners may choose to take out such permits for mortgage lending and other purposes.

Examples of documentation you may wish to submit include:

  • Business records
  • Land records, such as deeds or leases
  • Historical photographs, newspaper articles, or city directories
  • Certificate of Title (for vehicles)
  • Personal property receipts (for vehicles)
  • Bill of Sale (for vehicles or applicable structures)
  • County-issued building permit(s) or site plans
  • Affidavits from persons who have direct knowledge of the use (affidavits need to be notarized)
  • Any other evidence that may assist your application

How Do I Apply?