Zoning Map Amendment

How Do I Apply?

Please visit the Land Development & Zoning Applications section of our Citizenserve Citizen Access Portal.

Zoning Regulations

Since 1959, St. Charles County has used zoning to separate incompatible land uses; regulate how buildings and improvements to the land are constructed and used; limit the density and intensity of land uses; reduce hazards to life and property from flooding; and manage erosion, loss of tree canopy, and water quality. The regulations and policies that govern County zoning include the:

Detailed information concerning the processing steps involved herein can be found in the St. Charles County Unified Development Ordinance, Section 405.535, and at the St. Charles County Planning and Zoning Division Office.

Steps to Rezone Property

Rezoning property is normally initiated by a property owner or their agent, although the Planning and Zoning Commission may instead initiate a zoning map amendment. The steps to rezone property include:

  • Applicant consults with Planning & Zoning Division staff (highly recommended).
  • Complete application submitted (see Planning and Zoning Commission for deadlines).
  • County staff processes application. This includes notifying owners of property within 1,000 feet of the property to be rezoned, posting a sign on the property, and notifying pertinent public agencies.
  • Planning and Zoning Commission conducts public hearing and votes on a recommendation concerning the application. The Commission meets the third Wednesday of each month.
  • County Council approval or denial.

Affected property owners and municipalities formally notified of the public hearing may file a written protest (legal remonstrance) with the County Registrar before the County Council acts, in which case at least five out of seven Council members must vote in favor in order to approve the application.

Items to Submit and Fees

Applications must include (1) a legal description of the property to be rezoned, (2) a recent certificate of title or deed to the property showing ownership, and (3) the application fee (based on acreage).