Sample Adoption Contract
All prospective owners who wish to adopt an animal through the St. Charles County Division of Humane Services must agree to and sign our Pet Adoption Contract. You will receive and sign this document at the time of the adoption.
A sample Adoption Contract may be reviewed below.
ST. CHARLES COUNTY DIVISION OF HUMANE SERVICES
Thank you for adopting your new pet from the Pet Adoption Center. It is St. Charles County's belief that this animal has a good temperament and has not displayed any abnormal behavior.
As a prospective pet owner, I agree that:
- I have provided complete and accurate information in relation to this adoption and am aware that any fraudulent information may result in rendering this contract null and void. As a result of this, the animal may be impounded by St. Charles County Humane Services at my expense.
- If, for any reason, this animal does not meet my expectations within the first 30 (thirty) days of the adoption, I will return the animal and its packet to the Pet Adoption Center. The adoption fee will be refunded by mail. If the animal is returned after that 30 (thirty) day period, there will be a surrender fee. I understand that if I can no longer keep this animal, I will return it to the facility.
- If the animal becomes sick within the first 3 (three) days after adoption, I will contact the Pet Adoption Center to receive medication and/or instruction. If the animal requires more advanced care/hospitalization/diagnostics, then this will be provided at the owner's expense. If the animal has a pre-existing condition or is undergoing treatment currently, then I will contact the Pet Adoption Center for further instruction. After 3 (three) days, it is the owner's responsibility to take the animal to a veterinarian and to incur all related expenses.
- To have the animal examined, I will contact the County's contracted veterinarians at Tender Care Animal Hospital (636-922-3360) to schedule an appointment. The first office visit/fecal exam is free of charge within the first 14 (fourteen) days of adoption. The fecal sample needs to be less than 24 hours old. I understand that the animal I am adopting may have internal parasites that show up post-adoption, and I will refer to provided material in regards to internal parasites. After the initial 3 (three) day period after the adoption, I will be responsible for all medications and treatments at my own expense.
- If I take the animal to a veterinarian of my choice, I will be responsible for any and all office visits, examinations, treatments and medications at my own expense.
- I understand that there is a test for Parvo, but that the animal will only test positive if the dog/puppy is showing signs of Parvo. The signs can include vomiting, lethargy and bloody diarrhea. If I suspect Parvo, I will contact the Pet Adoption Center Veterinary Technicians immediately.
- The Pet Adoption Center does not routinely test for Feluk/FIV on cats. I understand that this test is available for an additional, non-refundable charge.
- If this animal is picked up by an animal control agency, I understand that I am responsible for all impoundment fees or other expenses.
The Pet Adoption Center will not pay any emergency Animal Clinic or Veterinary Clinic fees.