Strategic Highway Safety Action Plan
Motor vehicle crashes are a leading cause of death in the United States, and around 900 people in Missouri die in crashes each year. St. Charles County is committed to addressing traffic injuries and fatalities through a strategic and data-driven planning process. The St. Charles County Strategic Highway Safety Plan supports the Missouri statewide plan (Show-Me Zero) and offers safety strategies established through effective collaboration and a multi-disciplinary approach to practical solutions.
This plan will serve as a guiding document for residents, employers, public officials, law enforcement, and advocates to identify the extent of the safety challenge and the most effective action steps to make our communities safer. Traffic deaths are preventable and this plan is an important step in realizing a safer St. Charles County.
- View the St. Charles County Strategic Highway Safety Plan.
- View the St. Charles County Strategic Highway Safety Plan document (PDF).
St. Charles County is committed to providing a safe transportation system for all by reducing fatal and serious injury crashes by 50% by 2030 and eliminating fatal and serious injury crashes by 2050.
St. Charles County and its partners are fully committed to ensuring the success of this effort and reaching the vision and goals of this plan. A safety committee is composed of:
- City of Cottleville
- City of Dardenne Prairie
- City of Foristell
- City of Lake St. Louis
- City of O’Fallon
- City of St. Charles
- City of St. Peters
- City of Weldon Springs
- City of Wentzville
- Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT)
- October 2021: St. Charles County met with the Safety Committee to discuss updating the 2015 Strategic Highway Safety Plan
- May 2022: Kick-off meeting with a Consultant, Lochmueller Group, to create a Strategic Highway Safety Plan
- August 2022: Safety Action Plan was created
- September 2022: Applied for Safe Streets for All grant provided by US DOT
- September to December 2022: Creating MOUs with the Cities
- January 2023: Unsuccessful for 2022 Implementation Grant by US DOT
- July 2023: Re-applied for Safe Streets for All grant provided by US DOT
- December 2023: Notice of Award by US DOT
Strategic Highway Safety Action Plan Survey
As part of the Strategic Highway Safety Plan, St. Charles County is seeking feedback on the safety of roadways throughout the county. Residents can provide their feedback here.