Housing and Social Assistance Programs

St. Charles County Government has a variety of housing and social assistance programs funded by federal and local resources. The eligibility requirements and application processes vary based on the funding source. From the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, St. Charles County Government has been awarded Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), Home Investment Partnership program (HOME) and Housing Voucher (Section Eight) grants. From local resources, the County allocates Homeless, Indigent, Project CARE, Domestic Violence funds. 

St. Charles County Government administers these funds via several advisory boards and commissions (Community Assistance Board, Domestic Violence Board, Commission on Housing Assistance) and contracts with non-for profit organizations and /or local agencies to administer day-to-day operations of these programs. 

If you are homeless or at risk of homelessness, please contact Coordinated Entry by phone (2-1-1) or email for needs assessment and placement in services.

Learn more about available community assistance resources.

If you need more information about the programs and how to apply, click on the following links based on your need:

COVID-19 Assistance for Residents Experiencing Financial Hardship

If you need rent or mortgage assistance due to COVID19-related financial hardship, please contact the Coordinated Entry housing crisis team by telephone (2-1-1) or email for needs assessment and placement in services. 

State Assistance for Housing Relief (SAFHR) Program

The State Assistance for Housing Relief (SAFHR) Program provides rent and utility assistance for households who have been impacted by COVID-19. Eligible tenants can apply for financial assistance to be paid directly to their landlord or utility provider. Financial assistance includes rent and utility arrears for the period beginning April 2020 and up to 3 months of forward rent and prepaid fuel utility assistance. The tenant must not owe rental arrears beyond any requested rental arrears through this program in order to apply for forward rent assistance. In order to receive utility assistance, tenants must have an invoice from the utility provider to support the request. Total assistance any tenant receives through SAFHR cannot exceed a period of 12 months.

Homebuyer Assistance 

Home Repair Assistance

Rent/Utility/Transportation Assistance

Social Assistance

Housing and Social Assistance Funding for Organizations