Apply for a Marriage License
Both applicants must appear together at the Recorder of Deeds Office, located in the St. Charles County Administration Building at 201 N. Second St., Suite 338, St. Charles, MO 63301. Take note of the following qualifications:
- Both applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
- Applicants must present a valid government-issued photo ID and Social Security card.
- Previously married applicants may not apply until 40 days after the divorce is final.
- Foreign applicants must present their valid government-issued photo ID along with a certified English translation of all non-English documentation used. If a translator is needed, an appointment with our office must be made in advance.
- Applicants may not be related to each other through and including first cousins.
- The ceremony must be performed within 30 days beginning from the date of issuance of marriage license.
- The ceremony may only be performed in the state of Missouri.
- Applicants will pay $48 at the time of license issuance. The office accepts cash, Visa or Mastercard. All credit transactions are subject to a convenience fee.
- Applicants may pre-order a certified marriage license for $9.50 at time of license issuance. The fee includes postage.
- If applicants are under 18, applicant must provide a certified birth certificate and be accompanied by a parent to give consent to their application. If parents are divorced, the consenting parent must provide court papers to prove custody. A $1 additional fee must be paid at the time of application for each parental consent.
- If either applicant is unable to appear in the Recorder of Deeds Office to apply due to military service, ADA qualifying disability or incarceration, an Affidavit of Absent Applicant (PDF) may be used.
Return and Record of Marriage
The person performing the ceremony is required by law to return the completed license to the St. Charles County Recorder of Deeds Office within 15 days of the ceremony.
Lost, Destroyed or Unused Marriage License
A lost or destroyed marriage license can be replaced with the original issuance date for $2 in the Recorder of Deeds Office. If a marriage license is unused, it must be returned to the Office per RSMo 451.130.
- Pre-Application Marriage License Online Form
- Officiant Requirements (RSMo 451.1)
- Marriage License Issuance: 636-949-7506
- Obtain a Copy of a Marriage License: 636-949-7509
- Schedule a Civil Ceremony with the St. Charles County Circuit Clerk: 636-949-7380
- Birth Certificate or Passport Issuance: 636-949-7558
- Social Security
- Search Marriage License Records