- Departments H–W
- Notary Public
Get in Line with QLess
Notary commissions will be handled through the Registrar from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Appointments are not required. Call 636-949-7560 if your commission is expiring on a Monday or Thursday.
Visitors to the Registrar can join a virtual queue from their mobile device using the free QLess app, or by checking in at the kiosk in the Administration Building lobby. Please sign into the queue after you have arrived - NOT from your office or home. Visitors will be called to a service window on the main floor past the elevators.
Becoming a Notary Public
The Registrar issues Notary Commissions for bonded, qualified applicants who have been approved to act as a Notary Public by the Missouri Secretary of State’s Office.
- Fill out a Notary Public application and complete the Notary Public Training Course. These items are available on the Missouri Secretary of State’s website, or you may visit the Office of the County Registrar to receive a Missouri Notary Handbook.
- Upon receiving the letter from the Secretary of State confirming the commission, the applicant must apply for a $10,000 Notary Surety Bond. There are several different ways to obtain this bond:
- After receiving your letter from the Secretary of State confirming the commission, the applicant or applicant’s employer/company will apply for the bond. The applicant must provide the employer with a copy of the letter confirming the commission.
- The applicant may contact one of the many bonding companies who have sent information to the applicant upon filing to become a Notary Public. If the application is submitted in this manner, the bonding company must have the letter from the Secretary of State’s office to issue the bond. Typically, the applicant may fax the bonding company a copy of the Secretary of State’s letter. The Secretary of State’s office will not send this information to the bonding company.
Once you have received your bond, please bring the following documents listed below to 201 N. Second St., St. Charles, MO 63301, and sign in to QLess. This will notify the Registrar that you are in the building and a representative from the office will come to a window in the lobby to serve you.
- Original Notary bond (or emailed copy). We cannot accept the bond by viewing it on an electronic device. Verify that your name and commission date matches the information on your letter from the Secretary of State’s Office and are printed correctly on your bond.
- Letter from the Secretary of State’s office confirming your commission has been sent to the Registrar’s office.
- A $5 fee (payable by cash or check) for recording the Notary Commission and administering the Oath of Office. An additional fee is incurred if using a credit card. Checks may be made payable to St. Charles County.