Stop Payment

Stop payment checks are governed by Section 570.125 Missouri Revised Statues (RSMO), a different statute from the 1 governing insufficient funds, account closed, and no account checks. Sometimes it is a crime to stop payment on a check. Sometimes it is not. The issue is whether or not the person stopping payment did so with the intent to defraud. If there is a dispute over the quality of goods or services, proving intent to defraud is often impossible.

If you receive a stop payment check, you can submit the check to this office; however, keep in mind that filing a criminal charge may not be possible. Before submitting a stop payment check to our office, you must send the check writer a certified letter regarding the check being returned.