- Departments H–W
- Public Health
- Humane Division
- Volunteering & Donations
- Application Requirements & Process
Application Requirements & Process
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer complete a Volunteer Application.
- Answer telephones and provide guests with general information about our services
- Assist in screening pet adoption applicants
- Bathe and groom approved animals
- Clean animal cages and feeding areas
- Other similar duties as assigned
- Perform routine filing and administrative duties in the office
- Show animals designated as ready for adoption
- Sweep and mop floors
- Ability and willingness to apply Pet Adoption Center procedures and policies after instruction
- Ability and willingness to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to establish effective working relationship with staff and public
- Ability to perform moderate manual labor or common office duties
- Ability to perform while being exposed to the Pet Adoption Center environment (i.e. constant noise / barking, animal hair and dander, cleaning chemical odors, etc.)
- Ability to safely and efficiently operate assigned equipment after appropriate instruction
- Regular attendance as scheduled (hours are mutually agreed upon between the volunteer and Pet Adoption Center staff)
- Must be at least 17 years old and provide your own transportation to/from work sessions.
- Must be gentle and compassionate with animals
- Must enjoy working with animals and people
- Must have record of a current tetanus shot
- Must be able to accept that not all animals at the shelter will be adopted and may be humanely euthanized
Volunteering at the shelter can be extremely rewarding. However, there are inherent dangers including the risk of injury from slips and falls and the possibility of an animal bite or scratch. For this reason, volunteers are expected to abide by Division of Humane Services policies and undergo a training/orientation session prior to their service.
St. Charles County Government is a not-for-profit entity. Therefore, certain donations, gifts, and volunteer contributions to the Pet Adoption Center or other county agencies may afford you or your business certain benefits for their value. Please consult your personal tax expert for information on this benefit.