Recycle Works - Central
All material brought to Recycle Works Central becomes the property of St. Charles County. We reserve the right to not accept, change fees, or stop accepting any items listed at any time and without advance notice. Electronics and other items showing water damage or dirt/debris may not be accepted.
Please note: The Recycle Works facilities only accept payment in the form of cash and check (made payable to ST. CHARLES COUNTY GOVERNMENT).
Recycle Works Central accepts the following recyclable materials:
- Aluminum - All types of aluminum are accepted.
- Antifreeze - Items are accepted from St. Charles County residents only. Items must be secured in non-returnable plastic containers with no larger than 3 gallon capacity. The limit is 10 gallons per visit.
- Appliances - Washers, dryers, water heaters, trash compactors, dishwashers, microwave ovens, ranges, stoves, air conditioners, refrigerators, furnaces, and freezers are accepted. The facility does not accept gas powered / ammonia-type refrigerators. Please deliver refrigerators, air conditioners, and freezers intact - Freon is removed by certified technicians and collected on-site. Collection fee is $15, plus an additional $15 per compressor.
- Batteries - Rechargeable batteries and intact used automotive batteries are accepted. Alkaline batteries are not accepted.
- Corrugated Cardboard and Mixed Paper / Fiber - Accepted items include corrugated cardboard and newspaper, magazines, junk mail, envelopes, colored paper, manila envelopes, white office paper, message slips, computer paper, cereal boxes, etc. Telephone books are accepted as well and may be mixed with other paper/fiber. Please note: Cardboard boxes must be broken down before deposit. Shredded paper will only be accepted if it is bulk packed in brown paper bags. Loose shredded paper and paper bundled in plastic bags will not be accepted. Separate other materials from cardboard/paper.
- Cartridges - copier toner cartridges, computer printer ink jet cartridges, and fax cartridges are accepted.
- Clothing and Textiles - Used socks, hats, shoes, belts, purses, backpacks, t-shirts, coats, jackets, clothing, draperies, towels, sheets, and bedspreads are accepted. Please launder materials before bringing them to the facility.
- Cooking Oil - Cooking oil must be secured in a non-returnable, lidded container. Only liquid cooking oil will be accepted. No grease or solid fats will be accepted.
- Microwave Ovens - Collection fee is $5 per unit.
- Motor Oil and Oil Filters - Motor oil must be packaged in a clean, non-hazardous, non-returnable, plastic container no larger than 2 gallon capacity. Motor oil in bleach, pesticide or other potentially hazardous containers will not be accepted. There is a limit of 25 quarts accepted per visit. Oil and transmission fluid may be mixed. However, if there are cleaning fluids or solvents in the oil, please call 636-949-1800 for information.
- Plastic - Most numbered plastic materials are accepted. However, the facility cannot accept plastic bags, plastic films, rubber, PVC or vinyl siding/fencing. Larger and harder items, such as large plastic toys and play houses, are accepted if they are cut into smaller pieces. If you have questions, please call 636-949-1800 for information.
- Scrap Metal - accepted from St. Charles County residents.
- Sealed Tanks - when completely emptied of gas or liquid and cut in half, empty tanks are accepted.
St. Charles County requires a per unit collection fee for the following items:
- CPU Only - $5
- CRT Monitors - $15
- Flat Screen Monitors - $5
- Keyboards - No Charge
- Mouse - No Charge
- Fax machine - No Charge
- Printers (0-25 Pounds) - No Charge
- Printers (26 Pounds or More) - $10
- Scanners - No Charge
- Copiers (Desktop) - $10
- Copiers (Floor Models) - $0.50 Per Pound
- Laptops - No Charge
- Typewriters - No Charge
St. Charles County requires a per unit collection fee for the following items are accepted:
- Cellular Phones / Equipment - No Charge
- CRT Televisions (19” or Smaller) - $20
- CRT Televisions (20-29”) - $25
- CRT Televisions (30” and Larger) - $35
- Wood Console Televisions and Rear Projection Televisions - $45
- Televisions (Flat Screens, any size) - $15
- DVD Players - No Charge
- VCRs - No Charge
- Stereos and Cassettes - No Charge
- Clock Radios - No Charge
- Video Game Systems - No Charge
- Christmas Light Strands - No Charge
- Charging or Extension Cords - No Charge
Fluorescent Tubes and Light Bulbs
We accept up to 5 fluorescent bulbs per month from St. Charles County residents only at no charge. Additional bulbs may be recycled by residents at the rates listed below. Commercial businesses and organizations will be charged the rates below:
- Fluorescent Tubes (Straight) - $0.25 per foot
- U-Tube, Circular, Compact Fluorescent - $0.50 Each
- HID, Mercury, Halide, Sodium - $1.50 each
- Shatter-shield, Power Groove - $1.50 each
- Incandescent, Quartz, Halogen - $0.50 each
- Ultraviolet, Arc Lamps - $3 each
Please note: Fluorescent bulbs presented for recycling may be refused at the discretion of the facility. Do not tape light bulbs. Total charges for commercial establishments dropping off bulbs will be rounded up to the next whole dollar. If you accidentally break a CFL or regular fluorescent bulb, please follow these clean-up and disposal steps.
Hazardous Household Waste
Recycle Works Central accepts hazardous waste materials* from May 1 through September 30. Collection hours are 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Tuesday through Friday - and the last Saturday of the month (except County-observed holidays). The following items are accepted from St. Charles County residents only: aerosols, antifreeze, batteries, brake fluid, poison, gas/fuel, herbicides, oil/filters, oil-based paint/stain (PLEASE NOTE - we do not accept latex, or water-based, paint), pesticides, transmission fluid, pool chemicals, sealants, solvents, thermometers, and thermostats. Cost is $25 for total items weighing up to 50 pounds. Any delivery over 50 pounds is charged a supplemental fee of $1 per pound. For more information on safely disposing Hazardous Household Waste, please visit the Missouri Department of Natural Resources website.
*HHW will be accepted from residential use only; no commercial or agricultural use products will be accepted.
To ensure safety, please follow the following precautions when bringing hazardous materials to Recycle Works Central:
- Make certain that the waste is properly packed, and do not mix with other materials.
- Wherever possible, leave the materials in their original containers. Items that are not in their original packaging should be clearly labeled with their contents. Mixed waste in plastic bags will not be accepted.
- Be sure the lid is securely attached.
- Place the material inside a box that is lined with newspaper (filling gaps with additional crumpled newspaper will help prevent spills during transport).
- Place the filled box in the trunk of your vehicle while transporting.
- Upon arrival at the facility, please remain in your vehicle until assisted.
Transmission & Hydraulic Fluid
Items are accepted from individuals only (no commercial organizations). Material must be placed in a non-returnable, plastic container with no larger than 2 gallon capacity. A limit of 25 quarts per visit is allowed. If the solution is mixed with cleaning fluids or solvents, please call 636-949-1800 for hazardous waste collections (appointment is required).
These items are not accepted:
- Alkaline batteries
- Asbestos material (PDF)
- Business / Government waste
- Explosives / Ammunition
- Gas-powered / Ammonia-based refrigerators
- Latex-based paints
- Mattresses and box springs
- Medical waste
- Plastic bags and/or plastic film
- Polystyrene (Styrofoam)
- Pressurized gas tanks (see above about sealed tanks)
- R-600a freon
- Radioactive waste
- Smoke detectors
- VHS tapes
- Wet or dirty electronics