February 13, 2020 3:19 PM
I-70 Blanchette Bridge, Local Highway Construction Information from MoDOT
Motorists should plan ahead and use alternate routes as significant delays are expected for the weekend of March 7, 2020, on Interstate 70 Blanchette Missouri River Bridge.
On Thursday, March 5, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. there will be a moving operation for one right westbound lane. Up to two lanes westbound will be closed during this time.
Crews will close the northbound Route 141 to westbound I-70 loop ramp starting at 8 p.m. Friday, March 6, until 5 p.m. Saturday, March 7. Please seek alternate routes during this time.
Up to three lanes westbound may close on Saturday, March 7, during the day as crews prepare for the traffic switch to move two eastbound lanes onto the westbound bridge. Drivers should expect up to a ten-minute closure on the westbound bridge during various times on Saturday, March 7. Message boards will be in place to alert drivers of the closures during this time.
By Monday, March 9, the westbound bridge only will be reduced to three lanes until Mid-November 2020. The eastbound bridge will continue to be reduced to four lanes through November 2020.
Motorists should consider using Route 370, Route 364, and Interstate 64/Route 40 as alternative routes.
Motorists on Interstate 70 should expect possible delays during their commute beginning Monday, Feb. 17, as crews start preparing for the eastbound I-70 Blanchette Bridge rehabilitation project.
During this construction project, there is potential for significant delays crossing the I-70 Blanchette Bridge. Motorists should consider using Route 370, Route 364 and Interstate 64/Route 40 as alternative routes. Traffic delays are expected during peak travel times from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. eastbound and 2:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. westbound.
Every day Monday, Feb. 17–Friday, Feb. 21, crews will close the following:
- Two eastbound right lanes closed 9 a.m.–3 p.m.
- Two westbound right lanes closed 7 a.m.–2 p.m.
The following week, crews will prepare for the upcoming traffic switch that will move two eastbound lanes onto the westbound bridge. The westbound bridge will be reduced to three lanes until November 2020 during this time.
Starting at 8 p.m., Friday, Feb. 21:
- Two left eastbound lanes and two left westbound lanes will be closed overnight for crews to place traffic barrier to prepare for the traffic switch.
- By 6 a.m. Saturday morning one left lane in both directions will be closed and will remain closed for up to three weeks.
During the week of Feb. 24:
- Crews will have up to two left eastbound lanes closed 9 a.m.–3 p.m. Two left westbound lanes will be closed 7 a.m.–2 p.m.
For two consecutive weekends starting Friday, March 6 and Friday, March 13:
- Various lanes will be closed over the weekend to restripe lanes and prepare to switch two eastbound lanes onto the westbound bridge. Westbound traffic will be reduced from five lanes to three lanes during this work.
Starting the weekend of Friday, March 13:
- The on-ramp from Veterans Memorial Parkway to eastbound I-70 will close. This is the ramp just east of the convention center. This ramp will remain closed until November 2020. Drivers wishing to enter eastbound I-70 can use the 5th Street entrance ramp as an alternate route.
Nighttime closures are possible for the Fifth Street ramp to eastbound I-70.
Westbound traffic will return to the original configuration by November 2020.
Additional lane closures during off-peak hours will only impact the eastbound bridge during the 2021 construction season.
The $33 million rehabilitation project awarded to KCI Construction Company will consist of replacing expansion joints, performing steel repairs on the truss and approach spans, and repainting the entire eastbound bridge.
All work is weather-permitting and may be shifted due to inclement weather.
Motorists are encouraged to sign up for any Blanchette Bridge project updates by sending an email to Blanchettei70@modot.mo.gov. Construction and an updated timeline can be found on the MoDOT webpage: modot.org/interstate-70-blanchette-missouri-river-bridge-project.
For more on roadway closures due to construction and additional work zone information go to http://traveler.modot.org/map. For real-time traffic, visit www.gatewayguide.com.
MoDOT reopened Route T between Route OO and Route M Nov. 15.
In Spring 2020, crews will begin widening and resurfacing pavement on Highway T from I-70 Outer Road to Route TT. Crews will also repair asphalt from Route TT to Route 94. The project is expected to be completed by the end of 2020. Pay attention to message boards placed in the area. For real-time traffic, visit www.gatewayguide.com. All work is weather permitting and may be shifted due to inclement weather.