MAKE A RESOLUTION TO BE HEALTHY IN 2017
As we start another New Year, many strive to improve themselves. Whether your New Year’s resolutions call for losing weight, stopping smoking, increasing exercise or learning something new, it’s best to set a SMART goal. SMART goals are ones that are:
SPECIFIC – Identify exactly what you hope to accomplish.
MEASURABLE – Track your accomplishments to show the path toward that goal.
ATTAINABLE – If your goal is challenging, but reachable, you’re more likely to follow through.
REALISTIC – Set a goal that has a likelihood of being reached.
TIMELY – Establish a set date to complete the goal and enjoy the rewards.
If you’re looking for ideas, here are a few suggestions from each of our divisions on ways you and your family can improve your health, our community and our pets in 2017:
DIVISION OF ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH AND PROTECTION
- Reduce the amount of trash in our community.
- Reuse items to conserve natural resources.
- Recycle paper, glass and aluminum to save trees and energy.
- Eat locally and Know the Score.
- Pick up your yard and clean gutters to decrease mosquito habitat.
DIVISION OF HEALTH SERVICES
- Wash your hands.
- Make sure your family is current on all vaccinations.
- Eat a balanced, healthy plate at every meal.
- Get an STD test to Know Your Status in 2017.
- Update your records and keep a copy.
DIVISION OF HUMANE SERVICES
- Spay or neuter your pet to control overpopulation.
- Make sure your pet is current on all vaccinations to prevent illness.
- Walk your dog every day to combat obesity (for your pet and you).
- Donate blankets and toys to improve the lives of shelter pets.
- Adopt a pet into your home and create lasting memories.
- Recognize our common threats.
- Make a plan to respond to these threats and share with your loved ones.
- Build a kit to provide resources for your plan.
- Be informed about your surroundings.
- Get involved in community activities.