The original item was published from April 5, 2017 4:08 PM to April 5, 2017 4:09 PM
COME TOGETHER TO BUILD A HEALTHIER AMERICA
Most wish to live long, healthy and prosperous lives and strive to help others in their community succeed. To achieve this admirable goal, a strong team must come together. Individuals take steps to protect themselves, the medical community treats those who may become injured or sick, and public health professionals prevent the spread of disease.
Each April during National Public Health Week, communities across the United States celebrate this three-way partnership’s role in building a healthier America. Each day this week offers an opportunity to focus on successful health achievements. Investing in our well-being leads to better food quality, efficient use of natural resources, stronger emergency response systems and a healthier population.
10 Essential Public Health Services
While a good portion of the activity undertaken may go unnoticed, public health professionals focus on ways to improve their communities. These efforts are covered through one of the 10 Essential Services of Public Health:
- Monitor a community’s health status to solve problems that arise.
- Diagnose and investigate illness outbreaks and potential health hazards
- Inform, Educate and Empower the public about public health issues
- Mobilize community partnerships to work together to solve health problems
- Develop policies and plans that support individual and community efforts
- Enforce laws and regulations
- Link people to available services and provide healthcare that is not readily available
- Ensure a competent healthcare workforce
- Evaluate effectiveness and quality of available health services
- Research new solutions to health problems
Providing a Return on Your Investment
The Centers for Disease Control estimates that for every dollar invested in public health, there is a return of $5.60 in healthcare cost savings. We hope that you will review our Annual Report to discover ways the Department of Public Health applied your investment to enhance our community.