The original item was published from August 10, 2017 9:28 AM to August 10, 2017 9:32 AM
VEGETARIAN "CRAB" CAKES
Bite into these "crab" cakes, you'll reminisce about that summer weekend along the Eastern Shore. Our August Healthy Eats recipe won't even require the struggle of cracking the shells.
One, 15 1/2 ounce can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
3/4 cup dried bread crumbs (divided into 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup containers)
1 large egg (beaten)
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning mix
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper, as desired
1/2 cup warmed pasta sauce (for dipping, as desired)
- Mash beans in a large mixing bowl, using a potato masher or fork. Mash until smooth, but still a bit chunky.
- Add corn, cheese, 1/2 cup of bread crumbs, egg, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Mix ingredients well to combine.
- Shape mixture into eight, 1/2 inch thick patties and coat with remaining bread crumbs.
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Place patties in oil and cook until golden brown (approximately four minutes per side).
- Serve warm, with pasta sauce alongside for dipping.
Recipe makes four servings. The serving size is two cakes, and contains:
16 grams protein
55 milligrams cholesterol
41 grams carbohydrates
13 grams fat
710 milligrams sodium
6 gram fiber