Do you have a resolution to become certified in CPR? Want to teach children in your classroom about recycling? Are you a daycare or food service worker with continuing education course requirements? Check out the St. Charles County Department of Public Health. There’s sure to be a program that fits your interest:
- CPR/AED/First Aid Certification and renewal courses are available through the department’s Division of Health Services. Courses are $50 and cover how to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on infants, children and adults; how to effectively use an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) device; and how to apply basic First Aid care. Upon completion, participants receive an American Red Cross Certification that is valid for two years. Classes are held throughout the year at the Department of Public Health, located at 1650 Boone’s Lick in St. Charles, and are listed on the department’s calendar. To register, call 636-949-7400, ext. 6255.
- The Division of Health Services also offers free educational programs for staff and children at child care centers. Visit the Child Care Education section of the website for a full list of programs and registration information.
- Classes for preschoolers and young children teach importance of health and well-being. Public Health staff visit the daycare or classroom and create a fun atmosphere to teach proper handwashing techniques, how to use a seatbelt, ways to stop bullying, and other important life skills.
- "Clock Hour" Classes for Child Care Providers are held in cooperation with the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services to help staff meet "Clock Hour" continuing education needs. Classes cover asthma management, food allergies, emergency preparedness, ways to work exercise into the day, and more.
- Division of Health Services staff are available to teach a variety of health classes for elementary, middle, high school, and college students, and to give presentations at workplaces and for community groups. Visit the Health Education page for a list of topics and scheduling information.
- The department’s Division of Environmental Health provides educational programming for teachers and students about recycling, conservation and ecosystems. Additionally, tours are available of the Recycle Works West facility in Wentzville and Recycle Works Central in St. Charles. View programs available online.