Program Allows St. Charles County Residents to Safely Recycle Toxic Materials
CONTACT: Doug Bolnick, Public Information Officer, (636) 949-7408
September 16, 2014
St. Charles County, Missouri – The St. Charles County Department of Community Health and the Environment’s household hazardous waste collection program offers a solution for the safe and proper disposal of toxic materials. The popular program, offered through the Division of Environmental Health and Protection’s Recycle Works Central location, will end for the year on Tuesday, Sept. 30.
Through this program, St. Charles County residents may safely dispose of household hazardous waste that is typically not collected through curbside recycling programs. Residents may bring unwanted items like chemicals, automobile fluids, pesticides and oil-based paints (please note that latex paints are not accepted) to Recycle Works Central (60 Triad South Dr. in St. Charles – near the intersection of Central School Road and Kisker) from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Tuesdays through Fridays, with no appointment necessary. Additionally, an end-of-the-season collection will be offered from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., on Saturday, Sept. 27. There is a nominal $10 fee for loads up to 50 pounds, with additional fees for larger sized collections. For a list of materials accepted at the facility, please call (636) 949-1800.
To ensure safe handling of materials, please follow these precautions when bringing hazardous waste to Recycle Works Central:
1) Make certain the waste is properly packed, and do not mix it with other materials.
2) Wherever possible, please leave the material in its original containers. Clearly label the content of items not in their original containers. Recycle Works Central will not accept mixed waste in plastic bags.
3) Securely attach the lid to the container.
4) Place the container inside a box that is lined with newspaper or other paper filler (this will help prevent spills during transport to the facility).
5) Place the filled box in the trunk of your vehicle during transport.
6) Upon arrival at Recycle Works Central, please remain in your vehicle until assisted.
Along with potentially hazardous items, St. Charles County’s Recycle Works locations collect other recyclables throughout they year to complement curbside collections. A variety of materials can be recycled at minimal or no cost. St. Charles County’s Recycle Works locations are open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Saturday, but are closed Sundays and holidays. For a listing of items accepted, or for directions to Recycle Works Central (in St. Charles) or Recycle Works West (in Wentzville), please call (636) 949-1800.
# # #