June 6, 2017
Contact: Nancy Lee Gomer, Marketing Coordinator, 636-949-7535, or 636-795-1137, email@example.com
St. Charles County, MO – If you’re active by nature, you’ll want to check out all that the St. Charles County Parks have to offer this summer. From monthly Artisan in Residence programs and hiking and biking opportunities, to disc golf events and more, there’s sure to be something of interest to every member of the family!
Here are some of the upcoming events:
- At The Historic Boone Home near Defiance, you’ll learn frontier skills in woodworking at our Saturday,
June 10, hands-on program. The program is from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and is free, but registration is requested.
- From 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., also on Saturday, June 10, you won’t want to miss taking the kids to the Parks’ inaugural Bike Safety Rodeo at the Youth Activity Park in Dardenne Prairie. This event is for ages 4-15 years and is designed to teach bike rules of the road, control, handling skills, hand signals and balance. Participants follow an obstacle course to teach them how to react in simulated street riding, and more experienced riders will practice riding on natural surface trails. Momentum Bike Shop is providing bike safety inspections and a helmet fitting station is planned in cooperation with St. Louis Children’s Hospital. Pre-registration is requested, but walk-ups are welcome.
- If you want to learn more about the art of disc golf, then make plans to attend the Disc Golf Clinic from 9 a.m. to noon, Saturday, June 10 at Quail Ridge Park near Wentzville. Participants must be at least 6 years old. They will be grouped by skill level and receive instructions on rules of the game, driving, putting, technique and more. Cost is $15, which includes a commemorative disc and lunch after the clinic. Pre-registration is requested. The event is sponsored by St. Charles County Disc Golf Club and Prodigy Disc.
- The second of four Hiking Series events will be held from 1:30-4:30 p.m., Sunday, June 11 at Broemmelsiek Park near Defiance. Adventurists can explore the vast natural surface trails for signs of wildlife and local flora. Hiking distances vary for each event but are between 2 and 5 miles and are at a casual pace. Those who participate in two of the four hikes in the series will receive a St. Charles County Parks commemorative gift. Registration is not required and the events are free.
- If you’ve always wanted to learn how to kayak, canoe or use stand-up paddleboards (SUPs), here’s your chance! St. Charles County Parks and the Alpine Shop are hosting a Paddling Demo Day from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Sunday, June 11, at Broemmelsiek Park near Wentzville. Participants will have the opportunity to test paddle non-motorized boats on Betty’s Lake at the park. Additionally, Kayaking 101 classes are being held from 6-8 p.m., Thursday, June 15, and from 2-4 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 19, both at Broemmelsiek Park. Call the Alpine Shop at 314-962-7715 to reserve your spot.
For more information on these and other events, contact the St. Charles County Parks & Recreation Department at 636-949-7535 or visit www.stccparks.org.