July 21, 2017
Contact: Nancy Lee Gomer, Marketing Coordinator, 636-949-7535, or 636-795-1137, firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Charles County, Missouri – Ramp up your summer fun with a visit to one of your St. Charles County Parks during the month of August! Whether you choose to canoe at Broemmelsiek Park, meet Daniel Boone and his biographer at The Historic Daniel Boone Home near Defiance, or get locked-in the Youth Activity Park, you’re sure to have a memorable time!
The Parks Department offers a variety of programs and activities for ages and interests.
Join us for these upcoming events in August:
- Lace up your walking shoes from 8 a.m. – noon, Aug. 2, 9, 16, 23 and 30, for our Wednesday Walkers program at the Youth Activity Park in Dardenne Prairie. This free fitness program lets seniors to use the park prior to opening for regular business hours. Free coffee is served at the concession stand. Call the park at 636-561-4964 for more information.
- Bring the family out for our Friday Night Public Stargazing at Broemmelsiek Park near Defiance and discover constellations and stars through complex telescopes. The Astronomical Society of Eastern Missouri (ASEM) hosts these educational stargazing programs at our Astronomy Viewing Area in the park. For more information, visit www.asemonline.org or call the Parks Department at 636-949-7535.
- Grab your bike, a light and hit the trails at night! Join Gateway Off-Road Cyclists (GORC) and St. Louis Area Mountain Bikers (SLAMB) at 8:30 p.m., Aug. 4, for a free Friday Night Mountain Bike Ride at Matson Hill Park near Defiance. Another ride is scheduled at 8 p.m., Aug. 11, at Indian Camp Creek Park near Wentzville. Riders must wear a helmet and have a 600 lumen light to experience park trails after hours. Register online at www.stccparks.org.
- Youth 12 years and older can get “locked in” on Aug. 5 at the Youth Activity Park for an all-night adventure playing games, skating, biking and entering scooter competitions. Prizes will be awarded for the competitions and all will enjoy a pizza party at midnight! Lock-in is 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. Cost of the program is $20 per youth. Pre-registration required. Call the park at 636-561-4964 for more information and to register.
- Learn how to canoe from St. Charles County Park Rangers! Canoe 101 is a new, two-hour training session that teaches adults and children ages 10 and older the basic rules of Missouri waterways, how to properly fit a life jacket, canoeing etiquette, steering and much more! Cost of the program is $5 per person. Pre-registration required at www.stccparks.org or call 636-949-7535.
- If you’re a folk music lover, or just want to learn more about the history of music, then our Historic Music of the Past event is for you! Visit The Historic Daniel Boone Home from 11 a.m. - 3 p.m., Aug. 12, and learn about music of the past. Fiddlers and traditional musicians will be playing together at this old-time musical gathering. For more information about this free program, call 636-798-2005. Paid guided-tours of the Boone Home are available throughout the day.
- Visit with “Lila” and learn about slavery on the Missouri frontier. Lila, Life of a Missouri Slave is performed by Angela da Silva at 1:15 and 3:15 p.m., Aug. 13, in the Old Peace Chapel at The Historic Daniel Boone Home in Defiance. In addition to the presentations, guests may visit with “Lila” from
12-5 p.m. to hear her compelling stories. The programs are free; paid tours of the Boone Home occur at the top of each hour. Call 636-798-2005 for more information.
- Whether you’re training for the October MO’ Cowbell Marathon or looking to meet other outdoor enthusiasts, join the Parks Department and EDC Business & Community Partners for a free training run, at 7 a.m., Aug. 13, at Indian Camp Creek Park near Wentzville. Choose from an 8 or 3-mile run through both paved and natural-surface trails in the park. Register at
- The Youth Activity Park in Dardenne Prairie stays open until midnight, Friday, Aug. 19! Skate, ride, rock climb, or play into the night! For more information about our Late Skate and Ride event, visit www.stccparks.org or call the park at 636-561-4964.
- Watch stars perform under the stars on a giant outdoor inflatable screen at our family friendly Movie in the Park, Aug. 19, at the Heritage Museum near St. Charles. It’s free and the next best thing to a drive-in movie! “Spaceballs” is this month’s feature, which begins at sunset. Popcorn is free; soda, candy and Bahama Buck's shaved ice treats are available for purchase. While you’re there, don't forget to register to win a Bahama Buck's Paradise Party Pack! Moviegoers should bring a lawn chair or blanket to sit on. No glass bottles, please. Call 636-255-6000 for more information.
- If you’ve always wanted to learn how to kayak, canoe or use stand-up paddleboards (SUPs), here’s your chance! St. Charles County Parks and the Alpine Shop are hosting a Kayaking 101 classes from 2-4 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 19, at Broemmelsiek Park. Call the Alpine Shop at 314-962-7715 to reserve your spot.
- Discover the importance of herbs on Aug. 26, during our monthly Artisan in Residence program at The Historic Daniel Boone Home near Defiance. Learn how frontier families used various herbs and other plants for health remedies and the coloring of fabrics. Enjoy free demonstrations from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. For more information, call 636-798-2005. Paid guided-tours of the Boone Home are available throughout the day. For more information about the program, call the park at 636-798-2237.
- Enjoy live music by 4th Street Band and dinner from your favorite food truck vendors from 5-8 p.m., Aug. 25, at the Heritage Museum near St. Charles. Bring the family - and the neighbors - to the Museum grounds for a relaxing evening of good food and great entertainment. Look for these food trucks: Twisted Taco, Savor the Southwest and Bahama Buck’s. For more information, call the museum at 636-255-6000.
- Meet Daniel Boone and his biographer, John Filson, from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Aug. 26, at The Historic Daniel Boone Home near Defiance. You’ll see their amazing collection of original antiques from the French and Indian War and the Revolutionary War. Don't miss this monthly event to meet Colonel Barney Combs (Daniel Boone), C.I.G., and Colonel Robert Pecoraro (John Filson), C.I.G. Both are celebrating 30 years as Historic Daniel Boone Home volunteers. Call 636-798-2005 for more information.
- Experience pioneer life during Homeschool Days from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., Aug. 30, at The Historic Daniel Boone Home near Defiance. Students and their families participate in hands-on programs and demonstrations, dip candles, play frontier games, marble paper, learn quill and ink, work with carpenters and more! Students earn home school instruction hours. Admission is $5 per student; children 4 and under are free. Discount for one free adult per three paying students. To register, call the park at 636-798-2005 or visit www.stccparks.org.
For more information on these and other events, contact the St. Charles County Parks & Recreation Department at 636-949-7535 or visit www.stccparks.org.