I am purchasing an existing, licensed establishment. What will I need to do?

Please review the section above related to opening a food establishment and obtaining necessary licenses. These licenses are non-transferable, and the Plan Review fees are not pro-rated. New owners must apply for their own licenses and inspections prior to assuming responsibility of ownership of the establishment. Floor plan and equipment schedule submission are not typically required on these transactions, unless the new owner plans extensive remodeling or change.

Establishments currently in operation, which are free from any unresolved violations, may not require an additional inspection before opening under the new ownership. If there is an outstanding violation regarding facility/equipment repair, critical violations (please see the Code Book for explanations) or food safety certification, the new owner will be required to correct this violation and undergo a subsequent inspection before opening for operation. These matters will be discussed by the parties upon submission of the license application.

Show All Answers

1. Who needs to get a food establishment license in St. Charles County?
2. What are the steps I need to take to obtain a food establishment license?
3. I am purchasing an existing, licensed establishment. What will I need to do?
4. How often do food service inspections take place?
5. Are inspections announced and scheduled in advance, or are they unannounced?
6. What is a food safety certification course, and where can I take this?
7. What documents do I need to have on display during the year and for my inspection?
8. What if I have a question about my inspection?
9. Are food service inspection reports made public?
10. I wish to remodel my establishment. Do I need to contact the department?
11. I am selling an existing, licensed establishment. What do I need to do?
12. What is a Frozen Dessert License, and where can I obtain this?
13. What if my establishment wishes to serve liquor? What must be done?