How do I open a business?

Before purchasing or leasing a property from which to operate a business, contact the County Planning & Zoning Division at or 636-949-7335 to verify that the zoning classification for the property allows your specific type of business. Following initial verification, you should apply for a Business Occupancy Permit by submitting the application to the County Building Division (201 N. Second St., Suite 412, St. Charles, MO 63301, 636-949-7345, (fax) 636-949-7336, If you plan to modify the building or site, you will need to discuss those changes with Building Division staff to determine if a building permit will be required. You should also contact the appropriate fire district to see if they will require an inspection. If your business will prepare or serve food you must contact the County’s Public Health Department (1650 Boone's Lick, St. Charles, MO 63301, 636-949-1800, regarding any additional license requirements.

Show All Answers

1. How can I determine if my property is located in unincorporated St. Charles County?
2. Where on my property can I build?
3. How can I determine how my property is zoned?
4. How can I apply to the County to rezone my property?
5. Will improvements to my property require a Floodplain Development Permit?
6. How do I open a business?
7. How do I obtain approval to operate a business from my home?
8. How can I subdivide my property?