Does the health department require permits for selling other products at a Farmers Market?
The department is aware of a number of individuals who wish to prepare food and sell it at Farmers Markets. Items such as hamburgers, hot dogs, omelets, cooked rice and the like have been creeping in to some Farmers Markets. These items involve food preparation of potentially hazardous food and involve food handling during preparation. There are state and local laws regulating the source of the food being prepared, as well as how it is stored, prepared, held for sale and handled. This type of operation is no different than the food vendors and the products found at many festivals, fairs and other events throughout our county at various times of the year. Vendors interested in selling or giving away prepared items must obtain one of the following:
  • A 14-day temporary food establishment permit: that costs $50 per permit and is restricted to one location for a specific period of time. You will also need an inspection by the health department prior to operation.
  • A 1-year mobile food vendor permit:. (which requires a one-time plan review fee of $60 and a yearly permit of $80 but allows use anywhere in St. Charles County for the period January-December of that calendar year). The mobile food vendor must have an approved mobile set-up to be considered for this type of permit. A Division of Environmental Health and Protection specialist can discuss this permit with any vendor interested in developing a mobile operation. This option avoids the necessity for obtaining multiple or consecutive temporary permits throughout the year.

Show All Answers

1. What is a Farmers Market?
2. When is a permit needed to sell products at a Farmers Market?
3. Does the health department require permits for selling other products at a Farmers Market?
4. Can I sell food prepared in my home at a Farmers Market?
5. What is required to be on this home-prepared food label?
6. Shouldn’t an exemption be made for vendors at Farmers Markets since they only operate for one or two days each week?
7. Why must I also have to pay a vendor’s fee to the market, as well as the permit fees? What do I do if I’m not happy with the market rules?
8. What is a potentially hazardous food product?