What do I need to do to open a business?

Before purchasing or leasing a property from which to operate a business, contact the County Planning & Zoning Division at Planning@sccmo.org or 636-949-7335 to verify that the zoning classification for the property allows your specific type of business. Following initial verification, you should apply for a Business Occupancy Permit by submitting the application to the County Building and Code Enforcement Division (201 N. Second St., Suite 412, St. Charles, MO 63301, 636-949-7345, (fax) 636-949-7336, bldgpermit@sccmo.org). If you plan to modify the building or site, you will need to discuss those changes with Building and Code Enforcement Division staff to determine if a building permit will be required. You should also contact the appropriate fire district to see if they will require an inspection. If your business will prepare or serve food you must contact the County’s Environmental Health Division (1650 Boone's Lick, St. Charles, MO 63301, 636-949-1800, environmental@sccmo.org) regarding any additional license requirements.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a building permit?
2. Do I need an inspection if I'm selling my house?
3. What do I need to do to open a business?
4. How do I know if a contractor is licensed?
5. Who can I talk to about a building code?